Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Amelia Mae gets baptized after 9 o’clock mass…or so we thought!

So after a small headache, Andrew and I finally got the OK from St. Catherine’s to have Amelia baptized.  We made all of the proper arrangements and invited everyone to see her get christened after the 9 o’clock mass.  Andrew had spoken to the priest and ladies at the rectory a few times and each time they assured my paranoid husband that the baptisms take place AFTER mass.  It was a beautiful, hot Sunday morning and Amelia was ready to wear her Grandpa Bosch’s gown…the church was very accomodating…we had two pews in the front of the church reserved for Amelia Mae.  We thought that was super nice of the church, but seeing as though the baptisms take place AFTER mass, we did not make a big deal about half our family being in the very back of the church…they had PLENTY of time to move up AFTER mass.  As we sit down, Aunt Nat points out that every other baby had their gowns on…so after serious contemplation and against Daddy’s wishes, Momma quickly put Amelia’s gown on her…trying to be as discreet as possible…mass had already begun and we didn’t want to draw attention to ourselves.  As we sit down and get settled in for the homily, I see people getting up and walking to the “baptism bowl” (I know I should know what this is called…but I don’t.  Forgive me!).  I think to myself, “Surely they are not baptizing these children now…they told me AFTER mass.” My thoughts were wrong…I blinked and then it was our turn to walk up to the baptism bowl…in front of the ENTIRE congregation and have our Amelia baptized.  It happened so quick it was over before we knew what was going on.  Amelia was beautiful…didn’t make a peep! But momma, daddy, and EVERYONE ELSE who had planned for the baptism to take place AFTER mass was a little confused and disappointed…and not in attendance because we thought…I’m sure you knew what we thought at that point!  ANYHOW…luckily we don’t take things too seriously and found the humor in it…and it turned out to be a lovely day!  Everyone made it back to Grams and PopPops and had a great time visiting. 

   DSC_1013DSC_1016 DSC_1018 DSC_1024 DSC_1025 DSC_1028 DSC_1032 DSC_1035 DSC_1036 DSC_1038 DSC_1041 DSC_1043 DSC_1045 DSC_1050 DSC_1052 DSC_1054 DSC_1056 DSC_1079 DSC_1081 DSC_1084 DSC_1085

No comments:

Post a Comment